Tolkien (was Re: Who invented the modern fantasy genre?)

Wed Aug 25 14:38:32 EDT 2004

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:43:32 -0600, Otter Perry wrote:

>>> I freaked out my reading group by being able to pronounce
>>> Ghisteslwchlohm
>>> without a hitch.  Patricia McKillip, bless her, is terrible for
>>> unpronounceable names.
>>>
>>> Melissa Proffitt
>
>How did you pronounce it?  I've always sort of evaded it.

It's pronounced exactly the way it's spelled.  :)

To play off what Roger wrote:

gis-tess-LUKE-lom (or lum if you like schwas)

It quite rolls off the tongue if you practice.  Try it with Elrhiarhodan
just for kicks.

On the other hand, I think I've mentioned before that Patricia McKillip
answered the question about pronouncing "Raederle" by saying "I pronounce it
Red-earl, but I've been told I'm wrong."  I think she's wrong.  That's such
an unattractive pronunciation for a pretty name.

Melissa Proffitt