Riddle-master trilogy was Re: Tolkien (was Re: Who invented the modern fantasy genre?)

Wed Aug 25 14:33:26 EDT 2004

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:28:51 -0600, Robyn Starkey wrote:

>>It's been interesting to discuss the series with people who all seem to like
>>it for different reasons.  Julie relates it to her first real introduction
>>to fantasy; a favorite teacher loaned the book club omnibus to her from his
>>own personal library, which made an impression on her.  Kathleen has
>>theories about the symbology that I've now forgotten, but I'm sure she'll
>>tell me sometime.  I love the language and the way the land-rule works, and
>>in re-reading it this time (with my lovely first-edition hardcover copies,
>>yay!) I finally understood why Morgon's acquisition of land-law in _Harpist
>>in the Wind_ was a necessary response to the power of the shape-changers.
>>And that other girl was harping about grammatical inaccuracies.  Geez.
>
>Ah, the last defense of the clueless - nitpicking.

It was funnier because she couldn't find it in the book to cite.

>I recently read a much newer McKillip, (Alphabet of Thorn) and really
>enjoyed it. I know Melissa doesn't like the newer ones as much, but I
>wondered if you had read this one?

I had it reserved at the library and then forgot about it.  I still plan to
read it soon, as I do all her new books.  I may not have the same kind of
enjoyment of McKillip's books, but I can at least enjoy the language and the
imagery, not to mention some of the wonderful kinds of magic she invents.

Melissa Proffitt