Tolkien (was Re: Who invented the modern fantasy genre?)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Aug 25 12:28:27 EDT 2004

> She also brings out the beastliness of the weather in the years just after
> the war: one summer with the fewest hours of sunshine and most rain in the
> Met Office records for much of the country, and one winter that was so cold
> it broke all records for *that*.  That must have seemed like the last straw
> to quite a lot of people!  (She blames the awful summer on Them and Their
> messing about with the clocks and Double Summer Time, I seem to remember.)

Yes. And it will serve Them right if we're too exhausted to do fill up
surveys and income tax and things. :)

I first read (to know it) _County Chronicle_. And at the end of the
first scene with Lucy and Mr. Adams and the entire unrealness of it all,
I burst out laughing. I couldn't have told you why it was funny, but it
was.

Turned out later that I had previously read _Northbridge Rectory_ but
had nearly ruined it for myself by thinking it was a modern novel and
waiting for Mrs. Villars to go Mad or have an Affair or a Breakdown or
something. I did buy and keep a copy, so I actually liked it when I
realized it was truly a book where nothing happens. :)

That's what I like best in fantasy, too-- books where nothing in
particular happens, which accounts for my fondness for the later Tamora
Pierce, whole stretches of Mercedes Lackey, and large parts of the
earlier David & Leigh Eddings books. (Probably also the
potato-chip-eating like habit of reading Loveswept romances.

Now, there is a limit. Anne of Green Gables, and Jude the Obscure, have
so little happening that it's unbearable tedious. (_Pollyanna_, however,
is much better than Anne of Green Gables for some reason. I Don't Get
It.)

Pardon me drivelling as usual...

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"If the injustice ... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the
agent of injustice to another, then I say, break the law. Let your life be a
counter-friction to stop the machine. What I have to do is to see, at
any rate, that I do not lend myself to the wrong, which I condemn."
-- Thoreau, "Resistance to Civil Government"