Origin of "normal" school

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Aug 25 11:47:12 EDT 2004

Well, this is what the Encyclopedia Britannica says:

"also called teachers college  or teacher-training college  institution
for the training of teachers. One of the first schools so named, the
École Normale Supérieure (.Normal Superior School.), was established in
Paris in 1794. Based on various German exemplars, the school was
intended to serve as a model for other teacher-training schools. Later
it became affiliated with the University of Paris."

Mirriam-Webster's dictionary says

"Etymology: translation of French école normale; from the fact that the
first French school so named was intended to serve as a model"

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"If the injustice ... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the
agent of injustice to another, then I say, break the law. Let your life be a
counter-friction to stop the machine. What I have to do is to see, at
any rate, that I do not lend myself to the wrong, which I condemn."
-- Thoreau, "Resistance to Civil Government"