Tolkien (was Re: Who invented the modern fantasy genre?)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Aug 25 10:30:27 EDT 2004

> It was a very difficult time to live through, by all accounts I have ever
> heard, even for the young who had just missed being involved in the actual
> war and didn't have horrible combat experience to cope with (or the
> disruption of being conscripted into the mines or farm-work).  For the
> country-living middle-aged who hadn't actually been in the forces it was
> evidently "more of the same only worse" in terms of day-to-day life, with
> even less to eat than there had been during the war, and nasty badly-made
> clothes, and everything somehow sullen and mean.

Angela Thirkell's descriptions of rationing and 'Them' are
excellent examples, and truly made me understand a bit about what it was
like. She treats them with gentle humor, and you can see her attitude
improving over time. (One thing I found amusing in a
raised-in-a-dysfunctional-family sort of way was her comments about
women so worn out with trying to make rations stretch that they'd like
to just lay down and die except that would reduce the rations for the
rest of the family...)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"If the injustice ... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the
agent of injustice to another, then I say, break the law. Let your life be a
counter-friction to stop the machine. What I have to do is to see, at
any rate, that I do not lend myself to the wrong, which I condemn."
-- Thoreau, "Resistance to Civil Government"