Tolkien (was Re: Who invented the modern fantasy genre?)

Abe Gross argross at bigpond.net.au
Tue Aug 24 23:48:06 EDT 2004

 Me:

> ... somebody (sorry, I forget who), then JOdel:
>
> >> the only fantasy I'd read until then was CS Lewis and Alan Garner's
_The
> >> Weirdstone of Brisingamen_. The Garner book had made an enormous
> >> impression
> >> on me, and I have no idea whether it itself was influenced by LOR,

JOdel:

> > Not impossible, certainly. I'm inclined to think not. Much more inclined
> > think that Garner was coming from somewhere else.

Ika:

> I remember in about 1988/9 (soon after I first read and fell in love with
> LotR) reading an interview with Alan Garner in the Times in which he
> claimed he was reading the Lord of the Rings for the first time, and
> thought it was awful, which I considered treasonable (I was thirteen or
> fourteen: it was rather a clamorous falling-in-love).

Garner disliked LotR, eh? Interesting, and supports what JOdel suggests.
Even though it seems they were indeed coming from different places, there
does seem to me to be some kind of familial connection between Tolkien and
Garner, or perhaps it's only the importance and centrality of myth/folklore
in each that gives me that impression. I'm not suggesting that Garner took
it from Tolkien, just that it's fascinating and synchronistic that the world
of myth was central in both these writers.

Ros

I never got on with