Who invented the modern fantasy genre?

Ms Kathleen Jennings s368333 at student.uq.edu.au
Tue Aug 24 23:14:32 EDT 2004

Helen wrote:
> Oddly enough, it was the movies that brought home to me how dark
> the story of
> LOTR really is. I had been reading around the edges of it for a
> long while,
> zooming through the horrors of the Uruk-Hai to get to Fangorn, and
> all that,

The darkness of the movies startled me. That reading is there, but I had always read the books in a much brighter light. Changes have been made in the movies, too, which deliberately have this effect. One of my friends was too scared to watch the whole of TFotR, but that volume is full of parties, hobbits, baths, elves, singing, drinking and dancing. And more elves. The Inn of the Prancing Pony is a cheerful place, full of (mostly) friendly faces. And Frodo is dancing on the table just before he accidentally puts the ring on!

Kathleen.