tolk

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 24 21:14:25 EDT 2004

Deborah said

But when I read for novelistic pleasure, I'm a
character nerd.  I want
compelling and likeable characters driving the
story; I want events
to result from their actions and focus on their
reactions.  Thus Jane
Austen over Herman Melville, Eddings (despite his

faith in prophecy)
over Tad Williams, DWJ over most people.  :)
I'll admit that all the Lost Golden Age stuff
grates on me now, as it
didn't when I first read it, because I have since

met the
pre-Raphaelites and _their_ Lost Golden Age. I
suspect that both were to
some extent reactions against the "any progress
must be an entirely good
thing" meme; but "any progress must be an
entirely bad thing" is just as
pernicious.

Jadwiga

Personally, I like the Hobbit and find LOTR
tedious, though The Hobbit
holds up better when read out loud-- if I
listened to LOTR rather than
read it, I might like it better. But the whole
tenor of the series is
dark -- shades of dark gray and dark tan.
 heh -- gd thing pj hadn't seen it like this,

gren gold and white for the most part, bit of red
slate grey, black and steel blue

Roger

=====
Ven