second hand books (was Hardback Hexwood (UK edition))

Tue Aug 24 20:02:29 EDT 2004

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:19:16 +0100 (BST), Ika wrote:

>Me, then Melissa:
>
>>>Do you have a stash of excellent books to give away as and
>>>when the opportunity arises, Melissa, or is your buying more targeted
>>> than
>>>that?
>>
>> Mostly the former, although I do often buy books to give to a specific
>> person.  My nephew gets books from me via the Thomas Lynn
>> Pseudonymous-Anonymous Method because he doesn't like reading what adults
>> recommend.  Apparently he has no problem accepting free books in the mail.
>
>What an interesting loophole - so recommendations don't count if they're
>in the mail? Or does he not know who they're from? Or, I suppose, the
>romance of getting a pseudonymous-anonymous book in the mail would pique
>your curiosity enough to open it, at least (or wonder, till it drives you
>mad, what would have followed you if you had).

I think he's just a stubborn little cuss who doesn't trust his mom's
opinion.  And to a degree he's probably right.  I love my sister-in-law, but
she thinks children's fiction should be morally absolute rather than shades
of grey and her idea of protecting her children is much stricter than mine.
I try not to subvert her authority with the books I choose, of course, but
that amounts to not giving him stuff with lots of profanity or sex in it.
There are all sorts of books that stretch the mental boundaries and require
serious thought that don't trip the mom radar.

>I tend to read a lot of bad books (and magazines, cf my current sig <g>),
>mostly harvested from charity shops, so I get very thrown when I see a
>decent one that I already own. But I really should try to disseminate good
>books a bit more (alas, my own nephew is only, um, three months old or
>something. Four months. Anyway, he's not reading yet and it'll be a few
>years before I can start on a campaign of indoctrination.)

It's good to start early.  If they have books lying around when they're
young, they'll be more likely to imitate reading behavior, insist on being
read to, and get into the habit of thinking of books as fun instead of
torture.  Of course, too early and they just eat them.

Melissa Proffitt
who has never eaten a book in her life, probably