Who invented the modern fantasy genre?

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue Aug 24 19:12:31 EDT 2004

>Charlie castigated himself
>
><Let's? Let's? Aagh! I opened a portal to Abred
>and let the Dark
>Greengrocer's Apostrophe onto the list! This will
>
>take many years and much
>island-hopping to expiate...>
>

>"Greengrocer's Apostrophe" Charlie? I would have
>said "Greengrocers'". Or is there just the one,
>with a Father Christma's like ability to be
>everywhere at once,  who began by chalking his
>dastardly apostrophe's' on the boards of haples's
>tradesmen and now haunt's newspaper's, internet
>lists' and indeed anywhere that the letter "s"
>may be found?

There is (praise be to the Deity of your choice)
only one Dark Greengrocer, but his name is Legion.

He works for Colgate Toothpaste's publicity
department, for instance, as witness their current
hoarding advertisment, in which the word "theirs"
has an apostrophe after the s, in huge letters.

Minnow (still in slight shock -- I saw it two days
ago)