Tolkien (was Re: Who invented the modern fantasy genre?)

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Tue Aug 24 18:01:26 EDT 2004

>My favorite part is still the Scouring of the Shire.  It's probably because
>I do prefer the human element to the broad epic scale;

Mine too, although rereading it makes me wonder how Tolkien could
possibly claim that he wasn't influenced by current events when writing
LoTR....after fighting and defeating a mighty power that menaces all the
world, our hobbits return home to something that looks awfully like the
England of Aneurin Bevan!

--
Margaret Ball
http://www.flameweaver.com

To say what you want to say you must create another language and nourish it for years and years with what you have loved, with what you have lost, with what you will never find again.

-George Seferis