reading for the blind

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Tue Aug 24 17:57:46 EDT 2004

> who
> produces books on tape? Or how you can read out loud informally, or as a
> volunteer?
>
> The blind can usually use this service and you can probably find
> organizations in your area that will be glad to give you the opportunity.

In America there's Recordings for the Blind, but when I was reading for
them they mostly did textbooks that had been requested by college
students....you didn't get to pick your own material. They had me
running around doing Footnotes and Bibliography for everybody else
because those are the places where you get lots of foreign language
references - not that I knew how to pronounce Polish or Czech
references, but at least I coud tackle the common or garden stuff in
French and German and Italian, and for the rest, I was willing to read
my best guess aloud in a loud clear confident voice (before spelling it).

My mother got into an even more boring specialty - math and engineering
textbooks - because she turned out to be extremely talented at
translating a diagram into words. She also possessed the ability (not
uncommon among people with any math background) of sensing the shape and
type of equations that ought to be coming along, so that she would
frequently put the book down and say, "I'm not following the mathematics
but I think there's a typo in the first equation on p. 171." And she was
usually proved right when someone worked out the details.

--
Margaret Ball
http://www.flameweaver.com

To say what you want to say you must create another language and nourish it for years and years with what you have loved, with what you have lost, with what you will never find again.

-George Seferis