Tolkien (was Re: Who invented the modern fantasy genre?)

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Tue Aug 24 16:55:44 EDT 2004

> My favorite part is still the Scouring of the Shire.

Just makes me wonder - why Scouring? For a long time I had the idea that it
meant cleansing (I had only met 'scouring' as in scouring pads for doing the
washing up), which makes a kind of sense. But then, William I's Scouring of
the North was a fairly brutal foray into the northern counties of England to
wipe out the last vestiges of Saxon resistance - just the kind of enterprise
with which you'd think Tolkien would be unsympathetic.

Charlie