Who invented the modern fantasy genre?

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Tue Aug 24 16:52:02 EDT 2004

Ven:

> Charlie castigated himself
>
> <Let's? Let's? Aagh! I opened a portal to Abred
> and let the Dark
> Greengrocer's Apostrophe onto the list! This will
>
> take many years and much
> island-hopping to expiate...>
>

> "Greengrocer's Apostrophe" Charlie? I would have
> said "Greengrocers'". Or is there just the one,
> with a Father Christma's like ability to be
> everywhere at once,  who began by chalking his
> dastardly apostrophe's' on the boards of haples's
> tradesmen and now haunt's newspaper's, internet
> lists' and indeed anywhere that the letter "s"
> may be found?

Ven, the idea that there might be more than one Dark Greengrocer is too
frightening to contemplate!

But actually I would argue for the singular anyway - on the analogy of, say,
the fireman's lift, as opposed to the firemen's lift (which is just a quick
way to get to the top floor of the fire station).

Charlie