Tolkien

Ika blake at gaudaprime.co.uk
Tue Aug 24 14:13:56 EDT 2004

Minnow asked rhetorically:

> who constantly
> re-reads books they hate?

<raises hand meekly>

I do it a lot less these days, along with other not-very-helpful coping
mechanisms, but in periods of stress, I reread Ruth Rendell and Barbara
Vine novels, which I passionately hate. I'm not sure why, but it works,
sort of like Sellotape to get lint off clothes; it picks up all the anger
and bile from the surface of my mind and takes it away, and also gives my
brain enough white noise to stop bad thoughts from taking hold. Then when
I've regained enough strength, I read DWJ again to remind my brain how to
think *good* thoughts :)

Love, Ika

--
*Rrrrrip!* I tore up the [wedding] photos, all of them. Then I gathered up
the pieces - like multicoloured confetti. Oh yes, irony stung. But I