Tolkien (was Re: Who invented the modern fantasy genre?)

Ika blake at gaudaprime.co.uk
Tue Aug 24 14:09:20 EDT 2004

... somebody (sorry, I forget who), then JOdel:

>> the only fantasy I'd read until then was CS Lewis and Alan Garner's _The
>> Weirdstone of Brisingamen_. The Garner book had made an enormous
>> impression
>> on me, and I have no idea whether it itself was influenced by LOR,
>>

> Not impossible, certainly. I'm inclined to think not. Much more inclined
> think that Garner was coming from somewhere else.

I remember in about 1988/9 (soon after I first read and fell in love with
LotR) reading an interview with Alan Garner in the Times in which he
claimed he was reading the Lord of the Rings for the first time, and
thought it was awful, which I considered treasonable (I was thirteen or
fourteen: it was rather a clamorous falling-in-love). I never got on with
Garners' books myself and have only read the first couple of chapters of
Elidor, though my girlfriend gives him a sizeable walk-on part in the
story of How She Became A Writer (they corresponded for a while).

Love, Ika

PS: This is the second time of sending (the message didn't show up in my
Sent folder the first time I tried), so apologies if I've double-posted.

--
*Rrrrrip!* I tore up the [wedding] photos, all of them. Then I gathered up
the pieces - like multicoloured confetti. Oh yes, irony stung. But I