Tolkein

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Aug 24 11:39:20 EDT 2004

> >Am I right in thinking that Terry Pratchett didn't hit the States
> >*wallop*,
> >but took a while to catch on?

Pratchett in the US suffered from the disadvantage of being marketed to
the pimply-faced male teen humorous fantasy/sf market , with Joel
Rosenberg, Keith Laumer, Piers Anthony, Terry Brooks, etc. Same with Tom
Holt. This is partly because the first Discworld book was such a
dreadful pastiche. Slowly his move to serious satire has been
acknowledged.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"If the injustice ... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the
agent of injustice to another, then I say, break the law. Let your life be a
counter-friction to stop the machine. What I have to do is to see, at
any rate, that I do not lend myself to the wrong, which I condemn."
-- Thoreau, "Resistance to Civil Government"