Tolkien

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Tue Aug 24 11:34:49 EDT 2004

On Tuesday, August 24, 2004, at 06:27 AM, Kyla Tornheim wrote:

> Also, I did read Joy Chant's Red Moon, Black Mountain, and I don't
> think I
> thought it was using other people's ideas, I just thought it was
> terrible.
> I think I objected to both the writing and the gender divisions. I
> read it
> because it and Deryni Rising were part of the "hey, look, we're doing
> fantasy now, aren't we cool" intro from the editor/publisher, and I'd
> loved Deryni Rising.

Oh, all right.  I'm going to have to reread it and see if it's stood up
to the passage of time.

One of the things I remember that I thought was clever was that
the children experience time differently in the other world.  And
that they have age-appropriate adventures.

And I remember getting a chill every time I read about the
confrontation between the hero and the evil one.