Tolkein

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Tue Aug 24 11:28:47 EDT 2004

On Tuesday, August 24, 2004, at 05:37 AM, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

> JOdel wrote:
>
>> Within a year we were all in the middle of the go-go-Gandalf
>> phenomenon.
>> Watership Down generated a little flurry too, but I haven't seen
>> anything ike
>> it until Harry Potter, and HP has snowballed about six times bigger
>> and faster.
>
> Am I right in thinking that Terry Pratchett didn't hit the States
> *wallop*,
> but took a while to catch on?  In England I think he was the
> One-Before-Potter.

Well, I didn't start reading Pratchett until 1996, when I guy I worked
with
handed me _Good Omens_ and told me I'd like it.  I doubted it, but he
was right.  To say the least.

Then it took a while before it occurred to me that if I liked Gaiman and
Pratchett working together that I should try Pratchett working alone.

But there were certainly paperbacks available in the USofA by then,
so this anecdote has no value as a general statement.

- Dieting is the cure that doesn't work for the
   disease that isn't real.