Tolkien (was Re: Who invented the modern fantasy genre?)

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Tue Aug 24 11:17:17 EDT 2004

> the only fantasy I'd read until then was CS Lewis and Alan Garner's _The
> Weirdstone of Brisingamen_. The Garner book had made an enormous impression
> on me, and I have no idea whether it itself was influenced by LOR,

Not impossible, certainly. I'm inclined to think not. Much more inclined to
think that Garner was coming from somewhere else. His books -- or at least the
early ones -- aren't in the epic mode at all. They hark back a lot more to the
Kipling/Masefield/Just-About-Anyone-You'd-Care-to-Mention model of
school-aged children saving the world -- or A world -- generally one accessible through
folklore. (Although in all honesty, Kipling's Dan and Una are only cast in the
role of witnesses to History.)