Who invented the modern fantasy genre?

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Tue Aug 24 10:03:52 EDT 2004

On Tuesday, August 24, 2004, at 08:02  AM, Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne
Heise wrote:

>> Personally I am still firmly in the camp of LOTR being almost
>> completely
>> wonderful. It's hobbits I find rather tiring, if anything -- Tom
>> Bombadil I am
>> very fond of, though I always tip this way and that at his first few
>> embedded
>> rhymes, thinking, "Oh, dear, this is going to be dreadful," and then,
>> as with
>> slightly cold water, I plunge straight in and like it after all. I
>> didn't mind
>> not being in the films at all though, as no one would *ever* have
>> gotten him
>> right, so what's the odds? Better gone than played by Robin Williams,
>> I say.
>>
>> I don't find that _The Hobbit_ holds up nearly as well (still a great
>> book,
>> just that I now mutter about which bits need some serious editing --
>> not
>> shortening, but tightening and rearranging), which makes me more sure
>> that I really
>> do like LOTR and it isn't just sentiment.
>
> Personally, I like the Hobbit and find LOTR tedious, though The Hobbit
> holds up better when read out loud-- if I listened to LOTR rather than
> read it, I might like it better. But the whole tenor of the series is
> dark -- shades of dark gray and dark tan.

Parts of LOTR _are_ wonderful when read aloud. I read the whole trilogy
aloud to Mark as the movies approached and there were definitely
sections that dragged (Bombadil, the Council, and--wow--it takes Sam
and Frodo a long time to get from Shelob to the mountain!), but there
were passages fabulous to read as well: all of Faramir and Frodo and
Sam; the Birthday Party; Bree; Moria.

I highly recommend reading aloud to partners/spouses/older children.
It's a wonderful, peaceful way of spending time together. It's allowed
me to re-read things I'd decided I "didn't have the time for" because I
wanted Mark to know these books. Our big favorite of the last couple
years was Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy. We just finished the
5th Harry Potter book--not quite as wonderful as a read aloud -
although you should listen to the audio version, it's wonderful--the US
version is read by Jim Dale who does wonders with voices (especially
Umbridge!), the UK version is ready by Stephen Fry I believe, though I
haven't heard it.

We're moving on to either "Harriet the Spy" or "The Lion, the Witch,
and the Wardrobe" next. I re-read the first chapter of LWW last night
as an appetizer and was sucked right back in (despite Pullman).

widdy

Blessed Cecelia, appear in visions
To all musicians, appear and inspire:
Translated Daughter, come down and startle
Composing mortals with immortal fire.
W. H. Auden

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net