Tolkien (was Re: Who invented the modern fantasy genre?)

kmf frede005 at umn.edu
Tue Aug 24 09:16:53 EDT 2004

On 23 Aug 2004, Melissa Proffitt, Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at Proffitt.com>
wrote:
> I'm starting to feel like a whiny outcast Donaldson character.  Didn't
> ANYONE here love Tolkien, ever?

I love Tolkien, still do.  I've read LOTR many times, the Silmarillion I
believe six times, plus all the volumes of the History of Middle Earth.  I
am overeducated, of course -- a classical education, at that. I guess it
follows that I'm one of those people who just follows blindly along popular
trends and never can see things in perspective, flooding 'best books' lists
mindlessly with my vote over and over.  :-)

Karen