Who invented the modern fantasy genre?

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Aug 24 09:02:37 EDT 2004

> Personally I am still firmly in the camp of LOTR being almost completely
> wonderful. It's hobbits I find rather tiring, if anything -- Tom Bombadil I am
> very fond of, though I always tip this way and that at his first few embedded
> rhymes, thinking, "Oh, dear, this is going to be dreadful," and then, as with
> slightly cold water, I plunge straight in and like it after all. I didn't mind
> not being in the films at all though, as no one would *ever* have gotten him
> right, so what's the odds? Better gone than played by Robin Williams, I say.
>
> I don't find that _The Hobbit_ holds up nearly as well (still a great book,
> just that I now mutter about which bits need some serious editing -- not
> shortening, but tightening and rearranging), which makes me more sure that I really
> do like LOTR and it isn't just sentiment.

Personally, I like the Hobbit and find LOTR tedious, though The Hobbit
holds up better when read out loud-- if I listened to LOTR rather than
read it, I might like it better. But the whole tenor of the series is
dark -- shades of dark gray and dark tan.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"If the injustice ... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the
agent of injustice to another, then I say, break the law. Let your life be a
counter-friction to stop the machine. What I have to do is to see, at
any rate, that I do not lend myself to the wrong, which I condemn."
-- Thoreau, "Resistance to Civil Government"