Tolkien

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Tue Aug 24 08:27:44 EDT 2004

Dammit, I deleted the message I was going to reply to. Point being, I read
The Hobbit sometime in elementary school or junior high, thought it was
nifty, and didn't get around to reading LotR until high school, when I
didn't like it at all.

Note that this was *years* after the books came out; I was in high school
in the mid-90s. I don't remember why I didn't like LotR.

But then in fall 2001, when the first of Peter Jackson's movies was going
to come out in three months, I said, "Okay, it's time to read these
again." And I really, really liked them. Sure, I didn't end up finishing
all the appendices; I wanted to say "I'm done now," and so I did. But Two
Towers was my favorite, which really surprised me, because my college
friends, who had done at least two 24-hour Tolkien readings (read in
shifts, one book per reading, or perhaps they didn't even finish it) were
always "yeah, Two Towers has massive stretches of boredom."

Also, I did read Joy Chant's Red Moon, Black Mountain, and I don't think I
thought it was using other people's ideas, I just thought it was terrible.
I think I objected to both the writing and the gender divisions. I read it
because it and Deryni Rising were part of the "hey, look, we're doing
fantasy now, aren't we cool" intro from the editor/publisher, and I'd
loved Deryni Rising.