Who invented the modern fantasy genre?

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Aug 24 06:28:33 EDT 2004

Aimee wrote:
> Wouldn't that be the bestest job? Reading to people? How does one get such a
> job, though? Anyone know if you *have* to be an actor or in radio, and who
> produces books on tape? Or how you can read out loud informally, or as a
> volunteer?

When publishers produce commercial versions of books on tape they will want someone trained or experienced (I guess there are few enough books on tape made that they would probably have a particular actor in mind and negotiate with their agent, but they might hold auditions, which would be advertised in The Stage or whatever) but many places have opportunities to volunteer for reading books, newspapers etc onto tape for blind people. Are you a student? Some unis need textbooks on tape and their disabilities office would co-ordinate volunteers. Otherwise you'd probably need to find out what charities for the blind there are in your area.
Libraries often have story-time; I don't know if they use volunteers or their own staff- there may be child protection problems with volunteers these days- but you could ask.

Jennifer