Who invented the modern fantasy genre?

Aimee Smith s4028253 at student.uq.edu.au
Tue Aug 24 05:51:54 EDT 2004

>Oh, HO.  It means that Amazon doesn't do books on tape.  I >checked
>Barnes and Noble, and they had it.  The reader is Rob Inglis.

Wouldn't that be the bestest job? Reading to people? How does one get such a
job, though? Anyone know if you *have* to be an actor or in radio, and who
produces books on tape? Or how you can read out loud informally, or as a
volunteer?
I thoroughly enjoyed a BBC version of The Hobbit I listened to in school -
still haven't read the actual book, unfortunately - but it was read by
Michael York, and it was my first Tolkien. I particularly loved the music,
as I thought it was exactly *right*. I read LOTR after that, and wasn't
actually that impressed, first time through. But I matured into it: after
the second time, and the movies? Love it.
I simply cannot find that old BBC rendition any more, however, and I really
want to listen to it again! If anyone knows where one is...

Aimee.