Tolkien (was Re: Who invented the modern fantasy genre?)

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Tue Aug 24 04:11:57 EDT 2004

Jon:
> While I can't say i read it when it first came out
> (I'm not that old) I did read it at the height of the
> Tolkien boom of the 1960s, a  decade before anyone was
> imititating him . . .

On a historical note, I recently bought (and almost instantly lost -- aagh!)
Lin Carter's 1968 book on Tolkien, in an appendix to which he says that the
only books to have shown JRRT's influence so far have been for children (he
cited Carol Kendall, Lloyd Alexander and Alan Garner - a not-uncontroversial
list in itself); but that he knows of one of two people preparing adult
fantasies in the Tolkien mode, including himself.

Charlie