OT: some word questions

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Tue Aug 24 04:00:57 EDT 2004

Ven:

> I'm from north Hampshire and never heard the
> word. My brother and I picked uop the rather
> splendid "didakoi" as a word for gypsies but our
> Mum, who rightly abhored name calling,  strongly
> discouraged it.

I'm from south Hamphire (pretty near the coast) and I too hadn't heard of
pikeys. 'Didakoi' was the word we used for non-Romany gypsies (I suppose
they'd be called travellers now, but then there was nothing New Age about
them). I wasn't aware at the time of its being a derogatory *word*, although
many of my friends (not me, of course!) were pretty derogatory about people
the word referred to, as it were, so it's hard to tell. I don't know where
didakoi comes from linguistically - perhaps it's Romany for 'wannabe'?

Charlie