Tolkein

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Mon Aug 23 23:34:23 EDT 2004

I tripped over The Hobbit in college. My college (Cal State L.A.) was in
those days -- and maybe still for all I know -- was basicly an overgrown Normal
school* and had a very nice collection of kiddie lit. As well as a number of
rather nice books about kiddie lit. I'm pretty sure I stumbled across the
reference then.

So I read The Hobbit, and wasn't all that impressed, although I liked it well
enough. Of course this was right when Ballentine was first bringing out an
American paperback edition of the Trillogy, so i went directly on from there,
Took me a bit of effort to get into the swing of things after Bilbo leaves the
reader in the lurch, but once past that I enjoyed LOTR very much (although I
would like to drown Bombadil swiftly and painlessly).

Within a year we were all in the middle of the go-go-Gandalf phenomenon.
Watership Down generated a little flurry too, but I haven't seen anything ike it
until Harry Potter, and HP has snowballed about six times bigger and faster.

* The Normal schools were a series of teachers' training colleges founded by
a Mr Normal.