Tolkien (was Re: Who invented the modern fantasy genre?)

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Mon Aug 23 21:41:11 EDT 2004

On Monday, August 23, 2004, at 05:37 PM, Emma Comerford wrote:

> It would be interesting to hear from someone who read it when it
> first came out, who doesn't have horrible rip-offs in the front of
> their minds when they read it.
>
> Emma :)

Well, I'm not as old as _that_, although my sister was given the books
as they were published in the USofA, but I read it in 1964, which was
just before it burst all over the place.  At the school I went to for
my last
year before university, the headmistress read it aloud to the freshmen.

I wasn't a freshman, but I had to catch up, because everybody
there knew it but me.  So I read it.  I worshiped and adored it.  I've
read it since with varying results, as I have said.  I don't think
the horrible rip-offs spend much time in the front of my mind.
Mostly, I think, the problem is that under the influence of other
people I came to think it was the ultimate book, and I still
remember that, and it's a wonderful book, but it's not the
ultimate book.

[I remember reading it in 1973 in the late summer in what was then
  called the Northwest Territories -- I was in the vicinities of Yellow-
  knife and Hay River -- and the aspens there are all the same size,
  occur in huge tracts, and have silver trunks and the leaves had
  all turned to yellow.  I still visualize that when I think of
Lothlorien.]

Speaking of ripoffs, has anyone else read _Red Moon, Black
Mountain_ by Joy Chant?  I remember noticing some pretty
direct theft [it's been a while since I read it], but it was a
compelling book in its own right.

I distrust those people who know so well what God
wants them to do because I notice it always coincides
with their own desires.

                                          - Susan B. Anthony