Who invented the modern fantasy genre?

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Mon Aug 23 21:22:33 EDT 2004

On Monday, August 23, 2004, at 02:36 PM, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

> Otter remarked about LotR:
>
>> I reread LOTR in preparation for the release of the movies.  And got
>> really
>> bored and annoyed.  Then, driving back and forth [and back and forth]
>> between Michigan and Colorado, I listened to a complete audio version.
>> This was lots better.  And I've read part, if not all, since and not
>> been as annoyed.
>
> I was seriously put out by a BBC Radio adaptation some years ago, which
> started with scenes of Gollum being tortured in Mordor --  thus giving
> away
> a fairly important plot-point well before it needed to be revealed, and
> adding nothing except a chance for an actor to do some dramatic
> screaming.
> For a long time that was all there was apart from the books, and a
> cartoon
> film that was so panned by everyone I knew that I didn't make the
> effort to
> go and see it.  Is the version you've got on tape simply a decent
> reading
> of the books in the right order, without abridgement or additions?

It's my niece's, in fact, but yes.  It's a decent reading of the books
in the
right order without abridgment or additions.  Each of the three volumes
was a separate investment and at least one volume was CDs and the
others tapes.

[pause to browse on web ....]

I just did a little browsing on Amazon.com and can't seem to find it.
Don't know what, if anything, that signifies.

[further web-browsing here .....]

Oh, HO.  It means that Amazon doesn't do books on tape.  I checked
Barnes and Noble, and they had it.  The reader is Rob Inglis.