OT: some word questions

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 23 20:56:57 EDT 2004

On pikeys Robert said
It originally
>was a derogatory term for gypsy >

Maureen added

<I live in Kent, having moved here from Oxford
eighteen years ago, and
had never heard the word before I came down
here................ But a young woman I know
from Hampshire also knew the word ... it had
been used by her grandparents, so it seems to
have a certain currency along the South Coast.>

I'm from north Hampshire and never heard the
word. My brother and I picked uop the rather
splendid "didakoi" as a word for gypsies but our
Mum, who rightly abhored name calling,  strongly
discouraged it.

=====
Ven