Who invented the modern fantasy genre?

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Mon Aug 23 20:12:54 EDT 2004

In a message dated 8/23/2004 4:51:23 PM Pacific Standard Time,
minnow at belfry.org.uk writes:

> I was seriously put out by a BBC Radio adaptation some years ago, which
> started with scenes of Gollum being tortured in Mordor --  thus giving away
> a fairly important plot-point well before it needed to be revealed, and
> adding nothing except a chance for an actor to do some dramatic screaming.

Oh, I listened to that adaptation last winter (the one with Ian Holm as
Frodo, no?). I thought on the whole it was really quite good (though I didn't like
the Aragorn much -- the first time I heard him speaking I thought, "phew,
Arrogant son of Arrogant").

Personally I am still firmly in the camp of LOTR being almost completely
wonderful. It's hobbits I find rather tiring, if anything -- Tom Bombadil I am
very fond of, though I always tip this way and that at his first few embedded
rhymes, thinking, "Oh, dear, this is going to be dreadful," and then, as with
slightly cold water, I plunge straight in and like it after all. I didn't mind
not being in the films at all though, as no one would *ever* have gotten him
right, so what's the odds? Better gone than played by Robin Williams, I say.

I don't find that _The Hobbit_ holds up nearly as well (still a great book,
just that I now mutter about which bits need some serious editing -- not
shortening, but tightening and rearranging), which makes me more sure that I really
do like LOTR and it isn't just sentiment.

Helen Schinske