Who invented the modern fantasy genre?

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Mon Aug 23 17:12:46 EDT 2004

On Monday 23 August 2004 22:36, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

> Doesn't anybody else find the dwarves more interesting than the
> elves?

Me! Me!

> I get fed up with all the beautiful-but-doomed business, but
> the dwarves don't have the same atmosphere of immortal
> dissatisfaction about them.

"Immortal dissatisfaction" is exactly the right term for the elves. I
couldn't put my finger on *why* I've always been so annoyed with them,
but that's definitely it. They're *bored*. And instead of going out and
doing something about it (with the exception of Legolas) they sit and
mope around, or leave the world, or first one and then the other. I
can't stand simpering, and the elves are archetypical simperers.

   Irina

http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi        Latest: 14-Jun-2004