Who invented the modern fantasy genre?

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Mon Aug 23 13:11:11 EDT 2004

On Monday, August 23, 2004, at 01:17 AM, Aimee Smith wrote:

> I for one confess to getting CS Lewis' Joy occasionally about Elves.
> Rather
> enjoyed DWJ's take on them though... they tend to annoy me anywhere
> other
> than in LOTR, though in Tad Williams I don't mind so much (I loved
> their
> language and the description of their ancient cities, especially the
> halls
> of As'ua). Copying is so... obvious... when it comes to Elves, and
> unless
> you can do it *well* enough...

Terry Pratchett does elves in _Lords and Ladies_.  I recommend
it to both fans and non-fans of elves.

For me, there is one central question in
the whole gay marriage controversy:  What
do you care? .... I have only this advice to
offer those of you who oppose gay marriage:
don't marry a homosexual.

                      - Beth Quinn, Times Herald-Record