Who invented the modern fantasy genre?

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Mon Aug 23 11:09:51 EDT 2004

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, [iso-8859-1] Katarina Hjärpe wrote:
|My
|attitude to the book on a non-emotional level is a bit like how William
|Goldman in The Princess Bride describes the full fairy tale: this is fun,
|this is boring, boring, boring, ah, here's some more of the fun stuff. What
|I'm reading will forever be the "good parts version".
|
|But of course, what the good parts is, is different for everyone.

Mine is the Merry and Pippin parts of Two Towers, and The Scouring of
the Shire.  I started liking the books much more once I realized and
didn't have to read the boring parts. ;)  My housemate adores every word
he's ever written, including the bits compiled after his death by
Christopher Tolkien, and I certainly enjoyed both the movies and the
zeitgeist of the films (and yes, I went to Trilogy Tuesday, and had a
blast).  But I find much of the books unreadable.

Feist: I like the first Daughter of the Empire book.  Earlier this year
I went often tried to read one of the later Midkemia books, and was
appalled how lazy he'd gotten.  It had an interesting premise, but was
layered with the Tough Guide in some of the worst ways.

I adore Beagle.  Folk of the Air was one of Those books for me in high
school.  Now I have fetish for his short stories ("Lal and Soukyan") and
I See by My Outfit.

|But enough about Tolkien – he's nowhere near as much fun as some others, our
|DWJ included. :-)

Very true.

-deborah
--
Glory be to God for dappled things 	-- G. M. Hopkins