Who invented the modern fantasy genre?

Aimee Smith s4028253 at student.uq.edu.au
Mon Aug 23 03:17:13 EDT 2004

I for one confess to getting CS Lewis' Joy occasionally about Elves. Rather
enjoyed DWJ's take on them though... they tend to annoy me anywhere other
than in LOTR, though in Tad Williams I don't mind so much (I loved their
language and the description of their ancient cities, especially the halls
of As'ua). Copying is so... obvious... when it comes to Elves, and unless
you can do it *well* enough...
But such complete histories and cultures of everywhere... The battle of
Helm's Deep... Lothlorien... the story of Aragorn and Arwen (in the
appendix)...
And Sam was always my favourite. I agree with the assessment that it's
boring, but you hang out for the *good* bits. :)

I read the Empire trilogy and *loved* it, butI can't seem to get into
Magician. Though I shall have to read it, for I opened it randomly the other
day and saw Pug working for Hokanu, bless him.

Aimee (ducking in case someone throws a pot of Stew at me).