Hardback Hexwood (UK edition)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sun Aug 22 15:28:55 EDT 2004

> >> This is your
> >> chance
> >> to meet the gay boys in the wineshop if you have a later de-pouffed
> >> version.
> >> (OK, OK, one adjective... but the cover is nice as well)
> >
> >Which adjective?
>
> 'Gay'.  In what Tanaqui's called the 'de-pouffed' version they're
> 'the boys from the wineshop', rather than the 'gay boys from the
> wineshop'.  This description happens at least twice, once in chapter
> 3 of Part 1, once in 5 of 5.  There may be others as well.  Do 'the
> boys' cry when their pampered little dog gets kicked in the d-pv also?

How interesting! The hardback American version that I first read it in
had the gay boys from the wineshop, and so does my paperback American
version.  I haven't looked at the newest American edition, though. I
remember being amused and slightly surprised by the fact that they were
mentioned as such when I first read the book...

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"If the injustice ... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the
agent of injustice to another, then I say, break the law. Let your life be a
counter-friction to stop the machine. What I have to do is to see, at
any rate, that I do not lend myself to the wrong, which I condemn."
-- Thoreau, "Resistance to Civil Government"