Who invented the modern fantasy genre?

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Sun Aug 22 13:50:04 EDT 2004

On Sunday, August 22, 2004, at 08:23 AM, Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne
Heise wrote:

>> There are things to love about LOTR? (Sorry.)
>
> Tom Bombadil. The Ents.
>
> Most everyone else is just annoying.

I prefer the Ents to Tom Bombadil, but I agree.  When I am moved [by
whatever
dark impulse] to reread bits of LOTR, it's usually the Ents I want to
read about.

The movie of _The Two Towers_ thoroughly annoyed me with its
treatment of the Ents.  Last night I was watching the first part of the
extended version -- the version with all the bits they had to cut
because
the movie was too long -- and discovered that not only was there more
about the Ents -- including mention of the Entwives -- but they conflate
Tom Bombadil and the Ents by way of an Old Man Willow character, from
whom Treebeard rescues Merry and Pippin.  Hmmmmmm.