Who invented the modern fantasy genre?

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Sun Aug 22 11:51:40 EDT 2004

Roger said...

> Donaldson was one of the writers I met as tatty books being passed
> around at school. Even the role-players (of whom I was one; but who as a
> group had a high tolerance for not-very-good books) didn't tend to hang
> on to the books after they'd read them once. (Ditto Feist.)

Hm.  I have to admit to rather liking Feist, though it did take me a long
time to get to reading "Magician", because I just couldn't take a book
seriously in which the main character was named Pug. :-)  And my favourite
of his stuff is the "Empire" trilogy, which he wrote in collaboration with
Janny Wurts (a writer whose solo books I cannot stand).

So go fig.

Dorian.