Who invented the modern fantasy genre?

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sun Aug 22 10:33:14 EDT 2004

> I liked the first Thomas Covenant trilogy.  It acted as an antidote to much
> of the quest fantasy I had already read, which wasn't exactly bad, just full
> of unexamined assumptions.

I suspect I'm younger than y'all. I was reading kids fantasy (Susan
Cooper, DWJ) in the late seventies, along with McCaffrey and of course
Norton, the Great-Grandmother of Fantasy and SF With People In It. :) [I
was amused to read, in the late 80s, a collection of stories called 'the
Heirs of Andre Norton']

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"If the injustice ... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the
agent of injustice to another, then I say, break the law. Let your life be a
counter-friction to stop the machine. What I have to do is to see, at
any rate, that I do not lend myself to the wrong, which I condemn."
-- Thoreau, "Resistance to Civil Government"