Who invented the modern fantasy genre?

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sun Aug 22 10:23:01 EDT 2004

> > I've always thought that Frodo was a bit of a cipher and that the book
> > was really about Sam and his journey.
>
> I'd agree, insofaras I found every damn' character in that book to be
> utterly boring and unsympathetic - *except* Sam.  He was the only character
> I gave a damn about.  He certainly had more personality than Frodo.

Basically, as the book goes on, Frodo slips deeper and deeper into
crippling depression. Depression is one of the more boring mental
illnesses to watch. (For the sufferer, it's a bit more like alternations
between utter misery and complete boredom with the world, or so I've
found.)

> > One of the things I love about LOTR
> There are things to love about LOTR? (Sorry.)

Tom Bombadil. The Ents.

Most everyone else is just annoying.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"If the injustice ... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the
agent of injustice to another, then I say, break the law. Let your life be a
counter-friction to stop the machine. What I have to do is to see, at
any rate, that I do not lend myself to the wrong, which I condemn."
-- Thoreau, "Resistance to Civil Government"