Who invented the modern fantasy genre?

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sun Aug 22 10:20:13 EDT 2004

> Ooh, er.  My apologies to those of you who like Donaldson.  I tried, I
> really did.

I've actually found one series (two books) of his that I liked. (I only
got through the stupid leper series because I got it for Christmas when
I was 14 and the library was closed for Christmas vacation... we didn't
have book superstores then or I would have used up all my college money
there...)

Anyway, the series that I liked, in an annoying kind of way, was _Mirror
of Her Dreams_ and _A Man Rides Through It_. Admittedly, I suffer from
_Jude the Obscure_ syndrome when reading it-- the agonizing feeling that
you know exactly what needs to be done and the character isn't doing it
because they are too thick to figure it out. But it works. The heroine
is a woman who is brilliant but so psychologically abused that in her
real life she lives in a completely mirrored apartment, because if she
can't see herself she gets to feeling she isn't there. As a result, even
though she has a pretty good idea what is going wrong in the alternate
universe and how it could be fixed, she can't imagine she could be right
or that she could do anything about it. Much more believable than Thomas
Covenant and much less icky.

And for some reason, the Teleri, the heroine in Teresa Edgerton's Green
Lion series, _Child of Saturn_, _Moon in Hiding_, and_Work of the Sun_,
reminds me a bit of her, but I think they are simply playing on the same
female problem-- a feeling that one isn't important which keeps one from
doing what one knows should be done.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"If the injustice ... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the
agent of injustice to another, then I say, break the law. Let your life be a
counter-friction to stop the machine. What I have to do is to see, at
any rate, that I do not lend myself to the wrong, which I condemn."
-- Thoreau, "Resistance to Civil Government"