Who invented the modern fantasy genre?

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Sat Aug 21 09:56:24 EDT 2004

On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 02:42:15PM +0100, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

>I am reminded that Andre Norton's *Witch World* series got
>going in, um 1963?

Correct; _Witch World_ was nominated for the 1964 novel Hugo. (_Way
Station_ won it.)

>There was also Anne McCaffrey's Dragonlot, starting in
>1970: she claims they're SF, but honestly, I think the early ones were pure
>FantasyLand really.

Apart from the shim at the beginning of the first one, which let's face
it nobody _in_ the world knows about...

>That's just a bit before Thomas Covenant too, those
>were 1977.  I'd say either of those two writers had more influence on what
>got written later than Donaldson did.

Donaldson was one of the writers I met as tatty books being passed
around at school. Even the role-players (of whom I was one; but who as a
group had a high tolerance for not-very-good books) didn't tend to hang
on to the books after they'd read them once. (Ditto Feist.)