Who invented the modern fantasy genre?

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Sat Aug 21 01:27:36 EDT 2004

>Having now been sent a copy of the review, I find it slightly alarming to
>have Eddings, Feist and Goodkind described as "giants".  I have read some
>works by each, and thought it amusing -- or in the case of Goodkind not
>especially amusing -- never-mind-the-quality-feel-the-width stuff with no
>particular memorability or reason for me to keep it on the shelf, which I
>haven't.  They are all three borrow-not-buy, as far as I am concerned.
>Does "giant" just refer to the thickness of the tomes, or the height of the
>writers, or am I missing something wonderful in these books?

I found the whole article most peculiar - almost like the person who wrote
it hadn't actually read any fantasy, and had, perhaps used press releases
about authors to compile it. I found the lack of female authors to be a
concern, too, but on second thought, it is talking about Kings and Giants,
so maybe there is a separate category for Queens and Giantesses?

Robyn