Who invented the modern fantasy genre?

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Fri Aug 20 15:02:02 EDT 2004

Widdy said...

> I've always thought that Frodo was a bit of a cipher and that the book
> was really about Sam and his journey.

I'd agree, insofaras I found every damn' character in that book to be
utterly boring and unsympathetic - *except* Sam.  He was the only character
I gave a damn about.  He certainly had more personality than Frodo.

> One of the things I love about LOTR

There are things to love about LOTR? (Sorry.)

> is that, really, Frodo fails in his
> quest. The ring takes him over at the end. The only thing that saves
> the day is Gollum's unquenchable desire for the ring. So by creating a
> deep dependence in its users, the ring ensures its own destruction.

Good point, which I hadn't thought of before.

Dorian (who hates LOTR a lot).