Who invented the modern fantasy genre?

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Fri Aug 20 12:48:26 EDT 2004

On Friday, August 20, 2004, at 09:19  AM, deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Charles Butler wrote:
> |Did he add anything significant to the
> |Middle-earth mix? Enough to credit him with the invention of a genre?
>
> Unlikeable antiheroes?
>
> Leprosy?
>
> Renaming Sauron to Lord Foul and making Frodo annoying?

More annoying, you mean? hee hee

I've always thought that Frodo was a bit of a cipher and that the book
was really about Sam and his journey.

One of the things I love about LOTR is that, really, Frodo fails in his
quest. The ring takes him over at the end. The only thing that saves
the day is Gollum's unquenchable desire for the ring. So by creating a
deep dependence in its users, the ring ensures its own destruction.

I've always loved Gandalf's prophetic words about "the mercy of Bilbo"
(toward Gollum) saving the day in the end.

Just my thoughts

widdy

Henry Drummond: You ever been in love Hornbeck?
E. K. Hornbeck: Only with the sound of my own words, thank god.
- Jerome Lawrence & Robert E. Lee: Inherit the Wind

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net