second hand books (was Hardback Hexwood (UK edition))

Fri Aug 20 12:32:00 EDT 2004

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 10:59:18 +0100 (BST), Ika wrote:

>Do you have a stash of excellent books to give away as and
>when the opportunity arises, Melissa, or is your buying more targeted than
>that?

Mostly the former, although I do often buy books to give to a specific
person.  My nephew gets books from me via the Thomas Lynn
Pseudonymous-Anonymous Method because he doesn't like reading what adults
recommend.  Apparently he has no problem accepting free books in the mail.
He's the one who got _Power of Three_ and _The Magicians of Caprona_, also
_The Thief_, _The Missing Persons League_ (never seen a real PB of that,
just the Scholastic edition) and _But We Are Not of Earth_, one of my
childhood favorites.  I don't do a good job of recording what I've sent, and
I think I've already given him _The Thief_...oh well.

Usually I buy extra copies of books I own that I know are very good or
widely popular.  I picked up several copies of _The Eyre Affair_ from the
library last year, all of which are gone now.  Sometimes I will buy books I
haven't read whose titles or authors I recognize.  I also buy books that are
a great deal--really cheap and in near-perfect condition.  I have them
listed with our pretend bookstore in my database (the bookstore we would
have if we could) so, you know, if I ever get really motivated to start
selling or giving them away, I'll know what I have.

Melissa Proffitt