OT: some word questions

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Fri Aug 20 12:24:42 EDT 2004

I have two questions about English usage in places where
people speak a different form of English than I.  [I speak
American English.]

1.  Pikeys.  We recently watched the movie 'Snatch' and
it appeared to me that the lowlife protagonists referred
to people I took to be Roma as 'Pikeys'.  [I was very
confused at first because I heard it as 'Pakkis' [or is
it 'Pakis'?] but eventually realized [with the help of
the English subtitles and the listing of DVD features]
that 'Pikeys' was the word.]

Why Pikeys?

2.  soldiers.  I have noticed several times in the
more recent Terry Pratchett novels a mention of
'soldiers' as something one makes out of toasted
bread and butter.  Maybe?  What are these soldiers
of which he writes?

If at first the idea is not absurd, then there
is no hope for it.

                                          - A. Einstein