Onions (was Re: DWJ birthday card(s))

Ika blake at gaudaprime.co.uk
Fri Aug 20 06:05:59 EDT 2004

Hallie:

> Hopefully the words 'displacement activity' will be sufficient and I
> won't need to give detailed descriptions of my attempts to find
> mention of Odysseus eating an onion.

<perks up at the sign of the words 'displacement activity'> I wonder
whether Perseus (online classical database) has a searchable Odyssey in
English? Or I suppose I could search the Greek but I don't think their
search function is all that good at finding all the different cases,
etc...

> Anyway, the only onion I could
> find which goes near someone's mouth was in the Iliad rather than the
> Odyssey and has nothing to do with Odysseus, but is far weirder than
> anyone's having an onion in a boat.  It's the 'Pramneian wine' served
> for Nestor - a delightful mixture of wine, grated goat's milk cheese
> and barley.  And 'onion to go with the drinking'.  Yum.   (Circe also
> makes the drink but there's no mention of the onion, which is a bit
> of a relief.)

Eep. Maybe it was a little cocktail onion on a stick?

Love, Ika

--
'Has Mother Earth become humanity's phantom limb?'
- Paul Virilio